Let’s start at the beginning.
Your dinner starts at 6:00 p.m., and guests are invited by 5:00. So the coordinator should arrive at 4:00 p.m. at the latest. What should she do at that time?
- The first is to check the correctness of the table setting with the help of a seating chart. The number of chairs and place settings for each table should match the information on the seating chart.
- The coordinator should discuss the timing of the hot dishes that have been previously agreed on the banquet menu, so that the hot dishes will not be served at the time of, for example, the wedding dance of the newlyweds.
- The coordinator meets the cake and desserts for the candy bar, which usually arrive before the banquet. The coordinator determines where the performers will change and get ready to perform, at what time and where, the staff represented by the photographer, videographer and so on can have a snack. Also, is responsible for whether the decor is ready, checks whether all the equipment is laid out and ready to go.
- She looks at where in the hall the lights go on and off. The coordinator can bring wedding paraphernalia and prizes and gifts to the hall for the guests, and make sure there is a vase for the bride’s bouquet on the bridal table.
- When guests arrive in the hall, they too are greeted by a coordinator with a seating chart with the words “Good evening. Are you here for Anya and Sergey’s wedding? Welcome.” And the guest understands that he or she has arrived at that banquet hall, as it often happens that there are several banquet halls in the same building.
Next, she marks the guest on the list and every 10 to 15 minutes she messengers the groom. The newlyweds aren’t in the hall yet, but they already understand what the picture is of the guests in the hall, who has arrived and who else is waiting.
If you provide the coordinator with the phone numbers of the guests, you can get an even more complete picture. The coordinator sees that the wellness area is coming to an end, dinner is about to start, and she can call whoever hasn’t arrived yet, and if the guest answers that they’re coming up, it makes sense to wait for them. Some of the guests will say they are very late, then of course no one will wait for them.
By 6 pm the newlyweds arrive, park 200 meters before the entrance to the banquet hall and call the coordinator. And the newlyweds see a picture of the guests in the hall and decide whether to start the wedding dinner or still wait. If the decision is to start, the coordinator goes down outside, gathers the smoking guests and invites them into the hall, notifies the contractors that we are ready to start, goes down to the bride and groom and ensures that they are in the hall on time. She also, can pro-announce what method of congratulations and gift-giving will be at the wedding dinner tonight.
The wedding dinner has started, and we realize that late guests may keep arriving. The coordinator’s job is to meet these guests and escort them to their tables.
About 30-50 minutes after the start of the wedding dinner, the host announces a cigar break. This is such a break in the wedding program. People take advantage of this break to smoke, visit the bathroom, take a few photos, and socialize. After the cigar break is announced, the smoking guests get up and go for a smoke break.
If this pause is not announced, we will have an endless migration around the room from smoke break to smoke break, and it may continue even when the first dance of the bride and groom is in progress. During the cigar break, the host is not working, just background music. After the cigar break, the coordinator went out, invited the smoking guests from the street, the guests returned, took their seats, the host resumed his work, and none of the guests missed anything from the program.
The first dance of the newlyweds
The first dance of the newlyweds is always an element of the show. It is the moment in which newlyweds tend to experience, for which they prepare for a long time. It often happens that for the first dance they order special effects like heavy smoke, cold fountain and so on. Personally, we do not know brides who would like to have, during their first dance, children running around the hall or waiters walking around with dirty dishes. Unfortunately, it happens.
And here the job of the coordinator, before the dance, to approach each parent in the hall, to warn them that the dance will be, to warn the staff of the banquet hall, that now there will be a dance, so that the waiters during the dance did not move around the room, to warn the master of light, to be ready, to warn the bride 10 minutes before the dance that you will announce it, so the bride had time to change her shoes, unbutton the veil and so on, in general, to prepare.
It is also the coordinator’s job to notify the kitchen to prepare and serve hot food so that it is served in a timely manner. For example, a convenient time to serve the second hot meal is after the first disco.
Timely turning the lights on and off, meeting and calling the artists, collecting smoking guests from the street after the disco is over are also the duties of the coordinator. He always has with him painkillers, threads, pins, antihistamine, Band-Aids, scissors, that is, all the first aid supplies that may be needed.
Cake Ready – The coordinator’s duties are to make sure the bride already has a spatula, dessert plates, spoons, and a knife. Finally, you can even have the coordinator settle accounts with your staff on the day of the event.
So you understand the difference between an event planner and a wedding coordinator.
The coordinator is the person in charge of overseeing everything that goes on day to day. His or her main job is focused on the day of the wedding.
An organizer, on the other hand, is the author of the project called the wedding. This is the person who plans and designs from beginning to end. His work is concluded, for the most part, before the day of the wedding. Sometimes at a small wedding, the planner can take on the role of coordinator.
If you are creating your wedding yourself, at least use the service of a wedding coordinator – this is at least some guarantee that everything will go as planned on your day.